Our profile selection dialog currently respects the configuration variable /profiles/default. In our default profiles.hconf, we have:
Unfortunately, for example, on Ubuntu 19.04 with a typical package set, this means that the second "GNOME Desktop" option will be default rather than the first "Ubuntu Desktop". This is different from how the local display manager behaves.
It's not possible to solve this if we continue to have a "default" parameter in our shipped config files. A more generic mechanism would be to use the first available profile, based on the "order" parameter. This is actually how it works if there's no match on the "default" profile. There could still be cases where we cannot match the display manager default, but the problem would occur less often.
Two suggestions on how this bug can be solved:
1) Remove the "default" parameter from our shipped profiles.hconf
2) Remove support for the "default" parameter
The core functionality seems to work well:
* Empty default: First is selected
* Specific default: The named profile is selected
* Invalid default: First is selected
* Just one valid profile: Default doesn't matter
However, tlwebadm hasn't been updated. It uses a drop down box for this field, and it doesn't have the option of leaving it blank.
Works well now. Closing.