Bug 3716 - Turkish characters not working properly in Xvnc when faking keypresses
Summary: Turkish characters not working properly in Xvnc when faking keypresses
Alias: None
Product: ThinLinc
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Client (show other bugs)
Target Milestone: 4.2.0
Assignee: Peter Åstrand
Keywords: astrand_tester, prosaic
Depends on:
Reported: 2011-01-11 18:00 CET by Pierre Ossman
Modified: 2014-05-05 12:43 CEST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Acceptance Criteria:


Description Pierre Ossman cendio 2011-01-11 18:00:46 CET
When we started doing a PoC in turkey, we quickly noticed that tlclient has serious problems with Turkish characters. Both the Windows and Linux client are broken.

The Windows client is completely screwed. You get random other characters instead of the ones you want. Looking at the code I see some references to latin-1, so perhaps it simply cannot handle any character outside of that...

For Linux, almost everything works. Just the turkish I:s seem to broken. Looking at xev, I see that in one case I get a weird keysym, and in the other case I get a combination of a dead character and a regular I. I guess Peter's dead character hack shouldn't be used for every dead sym we can find...
Comment 1 Pierre Ossman cendio 2011-01-12 14:21:14 CET
Did some more testing here:

- Client is sending the correct keysyms. IOW, problem is in Xvnc
- The key combinations that Xvnc are faking should work. When using them locally, they give the proper result.
Comment 2 Pierre Ossman cendio 2011-01-13 17:12:17 CET
Problem appears on RHEL 6, but not RHEL 5. Probably caused by a newer Xlib.
Comment 4 Pierre Ossman cendio 2013-12-04 11:07:50 CET
We've rewritten both the client and server keyboard handling since this bug was opened. We've also done a lot of testing with non-latin-1 keyboards. So we consider this bug fixed.
Comment 5 Peter Åstrand cendio 2014-05-05 12:43:23 CEST
Works with Linux and OS X Client.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.